Brunch has become particularly trendy over the past few years with many restaurants and coffee shops offering delicious and interesting meals combining both breakfast and lunch tastes. Think bacon, pancakes, avocado, eggs, granola and fresh fruit compotes!
The great thing about many brunch recipes is that they are relatively easy to make and you can get creative with your ingredients, so why not get your friends round this month for brunch and show off your laid back cooking skills. We’ve put together three brunch recipes which you can serve and are guaranteed party pleasers.
Brunch should be relaxed and casual so style your table this way too. Try adding our new Cornwall Chic Gingham or Stripe Tea Towels to the table under the toppings bowels, they’ll add a stylish colour pop to your table and will be handy to mop up any kitchen spills. Add fresh flowers to the centre of the table or small sprigs of eucalyptus to each table setting.
Avocado on toast
Avocado on toast is perfect for serving at brunch as it’s refreshing, healthy and can be topped with a variety of tasty ingredients. Avocado is often hailed as a superfood as it is rich in Vitamin C, E, K and B6 as well as Omega-3 fatty acids which are good for your skin.
Start with your bread base, sourdough and rye work brilliantly as they are extra crisp and also good for your gut. Next, get your ripe avocado and mash it in a bowl with a fork. Add a sprinkle of salt and cracked black pepper this is your simple mashed avocado.
Now for the toppings, choose from any of the following and scatter them on top:
- Poached eggs
- Chilli flakes
- Smoked Salmon
- Fresh herbs
- Sautéed mushrooms and broccoli
- Sliced pear, blue cheese and walnuts
- Roasted tomatoes
- Sumac, mint and feta cheese
Fluffy American Pancakes
The American classic is now a popular choice in the UK, not as healthy as avocado on toast they’re best as a special treat or perfect if there are lots of people as you can make them in batches and keep them warm in the oven. Our favourite recipe is this one on BBC Good Food. Try substituting half the flour for buckwheat flour as a variation on the classic recipe, if you are dairy-free you can use a dairy-free spread and a milk alternative, almond, soya and oat all work well. You can even try different sugars such as coconut sugar.
Once you have you pancake stack add your toppings, here are some ideas:
- Maple syrup and blueberries, you can warm the blueberries in a pan first or serve them cold
- Fried eggs and bacon. Add a splash of maple syrup too!
- Hazelnut chocolate spread
- Salmon, cream cheese and fresh dill or chives
- Fruit compote. Gently warm fruit in a pan with a splash of water and a dash of cinnamon. Berries and apple work perfectly!
Granola can be quite high in sugar so try making your own, it’s simple and you can make it in large batches and store it in Kilner jars for up to a month. Set up a granola buffet for your guests with bowls of toppings for them to add. Start with yoghurt, coconut yoghurt is a great alternative and adds a fresh, creamy flavour. Top with granola and then finish with a fruit compote or sliced banana.
Try this granola recipe which is delicious and good for you:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
125ml maple syrup
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g rolled oats
50g sunflower seeds
4 tbsp sesame seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
100g flaked almonds
100g dried berries (find them in the baking aisle)
50g coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
- Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. Mix the oil, maple syrup, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Tip in all the remaining ingredients, except the dried fruit and coconut, and mix well.
- Tip the granola onto two baking sheets and spread evenly. Bake for 15 mins, then mix in the coconut and dried fruit and bake for 10-15 mins more. Remove and scrape onto a flat tray to cool. Serve with cold milk or yoghurt. The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month.
Now you have your brunch recipes sorted, it's time to organise a weekend brunch with your friends! Tag us on Instagram in your brunch photos @stickytoffeestore.